Monday 26 December 2016

Drama and Reality

If it makes me question myself, then there's some possibility to it. Would I be OK with falling in love with an Ajjusshi in real life? Shocking. But if the Ajjusshi was to act like a 20-year-old and still has his innocence about him, then I cannot see why I would not be attracted to him.

Ahem.

Korean dramas make even the most average looking Ajjusshi appear dashing. Dangerously so. After this, I wonder how many of us would fantasise a love life with an Ajjusshi.

I love the drama, mind you, or else I wouldn't be here thinking about the leading male character and the bubbly leading female. Despite the pleasure it brings me, certain themes and conventions are not what I can agree with. But what to do? People seem to like gobbling them up as they are, questioning nothing, even wishing a life like that for themselves. I'm not going to pretend that I don't want a tall, handsome Korean Oppa to pat my head and love me, but I'm not going to pretend that their every portrayal is fine either.

People like to dismiss me by saying "bah, it's just a show!" and I would like to ask them how is it that their brains could be so appallingly unreceptive, but I never because they're too proud. I suppose ignorance makes life as perfect as it is supposed to be.

Dramas do make my girlish heart flutter but my imagination has been dulled by my very real lover. He's all too realistic, sadly, and I love him dearly. I can no longer imagine myself with another Oppa because he'll always be there for me, like a huge tree looming over my existence. Not that I have anything to complain about. He's as sweet as any of them; taller too-- very much taller.

No comments: