Thursday 12 April 2018

Rachel is in Singapore

As a Malaysian walking around Singapore, I find the resemblance to home uncanny, and the prices absurd. I could pay much less for what they're offering, and my appetite withers away.

The heavy air of capitalism is the air that one breathes along Orchard Road. Even though it doesn't cost to breathe, the well-dressed, desk-sitting-ass-kissing employees of nearby offices who just so happen to be on break, will snicker, ever so conspicuously, using eyes dulled with contempt. However, the most judgemental ones are not those who earn a stable, medium to high pay, but those standing by shop entrances promoting their businesses.

Having slept for a total of 6 hours, maybe less, over the past 2 days, and being slapped across both cheeks continuously by mishaps after mishaps after mishaps, I would like to die right here, right now, at the Muji Café in Paragon. My disappointment while can be expressed, is too much for words. From an invalid passport to a re-scheduling of flights and walking around Orchard all afternoon in search of lunch... INNER PEACE!

It is now 1620 and I still haven't had lunch yet. Sure, I'm at the Muji Café, but I only ordered tea and pudding since the main looked absolutely disgusting. With whatever that's left chilled on display, it's as unappetising as it can get.

Maybe I've offended an ancestor, or a spirit, or perhaps it just isn't my month! I wonder if my grandmother's innate talent of making terrible decisions got passed down to me along with her looks. In this wide corner of a quaint eatery, I managed to sit exactly where the AC is blowing. And we know how Singaporeans like to also replicate the superior weather of the North.

Delayed by an hour is my flight, but where else is there to go on an island so heavily reliant on capitalism? Everywhere I turn, I don't want to see anything.

If I must say one thing that I've enjoyed today, it's my short time at the national library. Why? Go figure.

I want to crawl under a kotatsu.

No comments: