Thursday 26 July 2018

Dog Children

It is obvious that in their eyes, I'm not someone who deserves to be respected. A temp, sitting at the front of the class, telling them to quiet down and to sit but this voice, without the slightest impact, dissolves into their cries of excitement-- as an adult, the situation is miserable, thoroughly so.

Quiet, sit down! But they say "stop treating me like a dog!" Of course, if they deserve to be treated otherwise, I wouldn't know how to either. Screaming, running around in a confined space, tumbling over, getting up on their feet only to chase after each other again-- if these aren't what dogs do? Ah, yes, human children are a special breed capable of causing more trouble than your average house dog because they are endowed with opposable thumbs.

Perhaps they can sense the powerless spirit underneath my heap of clothes, and skin. Much like how even puppies are able to exert their dominance over me once they smell my forgiving heart to all that is cute. Am I proud of myself for being children's pushover? I suppose it is insulting, but if I don't care about it because I'm only a temporary presence, then it won't affect me very much. However, if I were to be honest, it hurts. It hurts a lot and I want to cry.

Am I whining, complaining too much?

No comments: