Sunday 25 February 2018

Friends Forever

I'm friends with the kindest people, and that's how we'll stay, just friends. None of their tender innocence deserves the touch of a woman. At the age of 22, the boys yearn for what the youth of today call love, and intimacy. They've been disappointed before, their hearts rejected and broken, but they've never been in a proper relationship. They'd joke about their fulfilment in every department: life's great, I just need love!

When I look at them, I just see the boys I've always known, the boys who aged alongside me without growing up. Sure, some of them might display desirable physical attributes due to lifestyles that are much more active than mine, but I know them far too well to entertain further thoughts.

They would treat their future girlfriends as Queens, this I guarantee. A future where they turn out to be assholes who neglect their darlings does not even exist in the realm of probability. Like the perfect footstools, they'd wait at their feet.

Why is the lot of us so helplessly single? If it isn't because our standards are only fictionally possible, then it's our timid nature as wallflowers who can only watch from a distance. Passers-by, once out of sight, settle into our tender chests as a drop of wishful thinking.

At 28, he's still hanging out with us juniors, with his almost-30 belly showing through his t-shirt. The last time he had been in a relationship was a decade ago. I think, he's never going to get married.

One of the many surprises that I look forward to in my otherwise predictable time on Earth is who my closest friends end up marrying, if they ever do. In this regard, my imagination fails, because I cannot imagine us being in happy relationships. At 22, and at 28, we sat around someone's cramped living room and sang to YouTube uploads of karaoke instrumentals through the dead of night.

Maybe we're all meant to be alone, together forever. Who would love them? Who would love me? It's ridiculous to even attempt to fantasize this.

However, the Feng Shui masters predict that 2018 will be a romantic year for the Rats, and for Scorpios. As a Scorpio Mouse, does that mean my chances of finding someone as impossible to love as myself increase by 2%? Ah, I can't wait to be disappointed by these predictions again! At the end of the day, I would still be in my own company on the balcony, downing Asahi along with the setting sun.

No comments: