Friday 16 February 2018

How are They?

Wondering if someone from long ago is dead or alive, and if they are still alive, do they remember what's unforgettable for you? If those memories are as vivid in their minds.

I used to move from hand to hand, each time we went on board. Most of those whose cabins I let myself in uninvited, I've no idea how they are doing these days. Maybe it is inconsequential that a brat who used to distract them from their duties misses them.

A glass of freshly blended carrot milkshake, which the chief cook promised to be the best beverage ever invented. I hate carrots and cannot tolerate milk. I still remember his annoyance: if you don't like it, say it, so I won't waste more ingredients on you!

If I couldn't navigate, I thought I could at least sign up as a cook. Even though my parents would support my every endeavour, they, for some reason, are against the idea of sailing. Of course it isn't easy to cater to a hungry crew 3 times a day.

Where is Ah Poh now? Is he still alive? My dear second cook. He was a queer one. Did he have bright orange hair, and tattoos all over? At the time, he was already wrinkled and hunched over. What about now, I really do wonder. I heard he had no one but himself. But who can trust what a six-year-old remembers?

Reminiscing my embarrassing childhood hurts my cheekbones, but it also makes me a little bit sad.


No comments: