Friday 10 August 2018

An Afternoon Where I'm Not By Myself

I had been silently planning my Friday afternoon activities inside my head. Scrubbing between my fingers, scenes of my usual shopping trips lined themselves up and I thought of the order in which I should go about today's lonesome outing;
which shades of Urban Decay's latest Lo-Fi products I wanted to swatch, whether I should make my leisurely rounds at the ever so welcoming Sephora; how many hours would I sit at dal.komm today, writing, since I don't have a book in my bag. The suds have receded, I don't suppose I've been lathering my hands for too long?

Flick. Flick. And I dried my hands with some disposable napkins.

Absent mindedly with my spirit browsing through Sephora's shelves, I walked out of the kitchen. The Kindergarteners were still having their lunch, one boy chewing his rice painstakingly slow as my aunt sat opposite him, monitoring his eating behaviour.

Looking at these sprouting beings serves as a wonderful dessert after a teacher's lunch. Before going back into the classroom, trapped, facing the children of Satan, I want to have my fill of toufu-like kids. Some of them have deep, dark eyes, like an endless well of soy sauce. Their innocence is adorable, though their personality is less so.

"Where are you going after class?" my aunt observed today's dressing, and my over-blushed cheeks.

"Oh, to ioi," I mumbled, still walking through the Sephora, of which layout is already ingrained into my soul.

"I need to go to the pet store to get some supplies," with this, perhaps I wouldn't sound like someone who is totally alone. A necessity, a chore, yes, that ought to mask my intention of spending 5 hours alone at the mall.

Well, it didn't. Somehow, my aunt managed to make plans with the other teacher and the three of us, along with both of their children, ended up in the same car, driving towards ioi.

Caring Samaritans have barged into my alone-time! Perhaps I was a little disappointed at first, since I did plan on writing the afternoon away while inhaling the aroma of freshly ground coffee. But company, being together with people, humans who speak the same language, an opportunity to talk to PEOPLE, and not myself or Teddy boi (the guinea pig of my sister's friend which has now come into my co-posession), is also a vital factor in improving my mental health. Physical health however, is debatable, for we end up eating too much, everytime.

We talked for a good hour or two during our meal, mostly about our colleagues, the school, and the children. But I suppose that's how conversations with colleagues go? That's the link between us after all, that prevents us from being total strangers. I won't go into detail here about the issues we discussed, save for the frustration that we wish the kids themselves would start to realise the importance of their own education and willingly do their work so that they can move on and graduate! I'm not in a position to criticise them though, for I am also a brat who lacks motivation when it comes to my own studies.

I offered some of my coffee to the other teacher. Declining it, she told me that she's sensitive to coffee and gets sick after drinking it. It was at that moment that I realised the best way to abduct someone of Hakka descent is to feed them coffee. Perhaps the children of God are blessed with weak immunity towards coffee so that as we wait for the ultimate judgement, with coffee being served, they'll send us drowsy ones straight to heaven.

Walking around with kids is much more leisurely, because they've got tiny legs that can't function well enough. I wasn't unhappy in the least, and I even thought that Jay Chou's absolutely stupid newest single sounded a little less cringey.

Sunshine in my eyes, stupid kids by my side, I let my fantasies slip and thoroughly enjoyed the presence of those other than myself. Sharing and accepting the goodwill of others is sometimes a necessity, even though we prefer to be left alone.

I should also rest, while I wait for the coffee to clear out of my system.

No comments: