Wednesday 22 August 2018

Bangkok VIII

I don't suppose this bag of 20baht guava shall be tonight's dinner. Adding to the list of things that gives me a headache, is eating guava on an empty stomach, nearly dehydrated. An even more peculiar reason that sends my head throbbing is walking under the sun while wearing sunglasses-- don't ask me why.

「青春ですね~」is what I gathered from eavesdropping on the table of Japanese guests playing board games. I'm seated at the counter, same as yesterday.

Do you know why I prefer counter seats? It's because each individual seat is designed for the lonely, facing the empty kitchen space instead of guests never lacking of company. Here, it's also closest to the water dispenser.

Clutching my bottle of warm water in hopes that it would keep my fingers from hardening in the cold air, I'm reminded of my student who would always come to my table and similarly wrap her hands around my bottle in search of warmth.

"Why don't you fill up your own bottle with warm water?"

"Because I only like touching it, not drinking it!"

Kids.

The receptionist has already become accustomed to the temperature at which the AC is blasting for she's seated comfortably wearing a t-shirt. I'd have wrapped myself in two blankets, slipping on feet warmers and winter gloves if I had to sit in this room for 8 or 12 hours a day. Having just come in from the rain, my defense against today's artificial blizzard has been considerably weakened. Heck, I just realised there's 3 super ACs working on this winter simulation in the reception area that's about the size of my bedroom!

This evening's playlist is comprised of cheesy love songs from the 90s by those blond-haired boy groups who all sound the same. After a lazy Google search of what lines of lyrics I could remember, this song is identified as Soledad by Westlife.

Actually, last night, one of my readers complained that my Bangkok posts were quite... I can't remember exactly what he said, but I interpreted it as lousy. Of course, I'm not a professional writer, but I do try my best. My "immature techniques" are something that I'm working on improving with each book I read, and each time I attempt to write something.

Thank you for reading until today.

No comments: