Tuesday 21 August 2018

Bangkok VI

I doubt that there's a mall more crowded than Siam Paragon on a Tuesday afternoon. Tourists, of different colours and alien tongues wander about like dumb prey who have forgotten the dangers of the world. If every one of us could walk about with such carefree expressions, the world would be at peace.

After You. Have you heard of this dessert café that's born and Thailand? Their logo is of a mountain goat with its horns curled up, resembling puff pastry, or the snails Kindergarteners draw when they're given instructions to "draw your garden" during art class.

I must tell you never to come here. The quality and taste of their dessert is unknown to me and I am not curious to find out. Yet, here I am, waiting in line among tourists for our number to be called. It is quite ridiculous how people fly here to eat Bingsu. Eating it is alright, but waiting in line for 18 tables just to eat it? I cannot understand what goes on inside the minds of 19-year-olds.

Unhappy, my back is turned towards my sister and no attempt at communication has been made. It is easy to sense my displeasure. Growing up with me, she's very clear about my temper and how trivial details like waiting in line for something I never asked for elongates my face. The edges of my lips sink downwards as the seconds continue to tick.

Compromise... Compromise... Compromise... This word, in my brother's voice, is somehow ringing in my ears. Funny how I should think of such a word in such a selfish person's voice! It makes me less willing to compromise. Unsurprisingly, this family is made up of only the finest brats. On certain occasions, we are nice, and our commendable sides differ greatly.

On this trip, the thought of buying souvenirs never surfaced much. When I chanced upon a coin pouch with the print of a tuna smack in the middle, the name of such a friend who appreciates quirky designs surfaced. So I picked it up and reached for my wallet.

My hands never reached the zipper of my bag, and I put the souvenir back.

I walked on. The image of my friend's coin pouch was drawn from the memories of us going shopping. What good is a coin pouch when they've already got one?

We have been given a seat at the café, though a rather tiny one by the outer wall. The wait continues however, as their dessert will take 20minutes to be served.

No comments: