Friday 24 May 2013

Days of Hunny Jars and the Hundred-Acre Woods

After weeks of telling myself that I'd watch The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh with my dearest Macadamia, I finally did it this evening.

That little tune I've been humming all these years? Turns out, it's the theme song for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh from 1977. It's funny, because I didn't even know that I knew the song! I don't even recall ever watching the animated musical. When I watched it just now, I almost cried upon hearing the opening theme song-- the very same tune I've sung in my head since I can remember.

If you didn't know me at all, you would have thought that I was a mentally unstable person when you saw me sitting in front of a 15.5-inch laptop, humming, laughing and swaying my body to a children's cartoon. I admit, the story was childish, but I was happy. Indeed, I was very happy! Happier than I've ever been, in fact.

How did I come to love this yellow old bear that's filled with fluff? I'm not really sure. I just loved Pooh Bear. I continued to love it even when I grew out of my childish fantasies and I still love him now; probably will forever!

This silly old bear is also the reason why I came to love HUNNY. Until now, whenever I make myself a cup of honey, I'll always remember to dab my finger on the honey bottle's opening to make sure that not one drop of it trickles down the side of the glass container... Who am I kidding? It's just an excuse so I can taste the honey directly from my hands. The yummy golden liquid that's sticky and sweet, I always liked licking it from my fingers the way Pooh does it.

Ah, when I was a six-year-old kindergartener in pig-tails, I always spelt honey as HUNNY. Whenever the grown ups told me I misspelled it, I would argue with them that they're wrong and it really is spelled H-U-N-N-Y! "it's written on Pooh's HUNNY jar! Come see for yourself!" I would tell my mum and my grandma when they corrected my spelling. I remember that I drew honey pots and labelled them HUNNY very often. When I finally found out that "honey" was indeed the real spelling, I cried. Still, I ignored it and continued to use the word "HUNNY"

Sweet memories, indeed.

I should stop reminiscing and come back to the present. But after watching something like that which sparked such distant memories, making me remember all the things I thought I've forgotten, how can I not go back to the days of hunny pots in The Hundred-Acre Woods?

It's time we went to that enchanted place in the hundred-acre woods, said Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh. I want you to come up here next time, when I'm gone... Promise me that you'll never, ever forget me, Pooh; even when I'm a hundred...

"oh, you mean come up here alone?"

"yes... And Pooh, promise me that you'll never, ever forget me?"

"I promise, Christopher Robin."

"even if I'm a hundred?"

"hm... If you're a hundred, how old will I be?"

"ninety-nine, you silly old bear!"

As their backs grew smaller and smaller when they headed up to the enchanted place in the wood, I almost cried. It was goodbye.

"I'll always remember you, Pooh..."

...
...
...

:')





No comments: