Wednesday 24 October 2012

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (あの日見た花の名前を僕達はまだ知らない)

I've finally finished watching this touching eleven-episode anime! T^T I cried so much at the end of the series that it was as if my pet had just got eaten. Thank goodness nobody walked in on me crying in front of my laptop; I was wrapped up inside my blanket, wiping my tears with it.

Literally translated from its original Japanese title though, this anime should be called "I still don't know the name of the flower we saw that day" instead of "The flower we saw that day" but I guess the shorter the better? Haha.




Simply put, this anime is about friendship.

I'm not one to care about my relationship with people, but this anime made me WISH that I had cared. Everyone has at least one childhood friend, right? I don't, really, because those who I spent running around barefooted with all became the typical 'lala' in another school. Seriously, even my dad has a really close childhood friend that he's still in contact with: Lisa. No, not my sister; they just happen to have the same name.

Okay, back to the anime:

There's this group of six that calls themselves Super Peace Busters. They were childhood friends. One summer's day, one of the members, a girl named Menma, drowned in a river. After Menma died, they all grew distant because secretly they've been feeling guilty and haven't been able to move on ever since. To each of them, they contributed as much to her death. About ten years later, Menma's ghost came back, saying she has a wish to fulfill and only the group leader, Jintan, could see her. Because of Menma's reappearance after all these years, the others were slowly drawn back together; the story thus begins to unravel, with secret feelings being exposed and revelations to new relationships. They were finally able to move on =')

This is Menma.


This anime portrays different personalities that each of us may have, and from watching it, I sorta found out which kind of friend I am. I must say, I'm the worst kind. I can't tell you exactly which character portrays my personality because each of them have their points that I think I have. 

Sad to say, most friendship these days aren't going to last, and the kind of long-lasting relationship we see in movies are either things of the past or they are just dreams of a person. I don't know about the rest of you but even though I yearn for the kind of friendship that is pure and eternal, I still can't find it. No matter what people say, they don't accept you for who you are, because there are just some things that people DON'T want to accept. How can that type of relationship be pure then? I distance myself away from the people I call friends because I know, they don't mean always mean well. One could say that I don't have friends though, because to me, everyone is just an acquaintance; I don't share secrets or my feelings with them, I just hang out and chill with them. I know nothing about them either.  

Tomodachi... 

I don't want to be all emo on an anime post, so here's the ending song of the anime. Very touching~ I bet some of you can relate to it. 


I'll probably visit Josh's Anime Sheet Music Collection now and download the sheet music so I can emo on the piano in the morning.

Good night loves~! 

No comments: