Monday 13 March 2017

Male Acquaintances

Is there a general lack of the male species in university? While brooding over everyday life, I realised that after one-and-a-half semester here at UNMC, I have not made a single friend of the opposite sex! Well, there is Julian, aber jetzt ist er in meine Deutschklasse nicht mehr also ich sehe ihn auch nicht mehr. 

Did I miss anyone? No. I went through my list of acquaintances a number of times, from the ones I like most to the ones I see most often, then alphabetically. To be able to do so means that my circle of friends stretch about as far as my fingers would reach when I strain to extend them. 

Am I OK with such an arrangement? With relationships that merely feel like soft Spring rain against clothed skin, moist enough to cling yet not soaked as to leave lasting impressions with tales to spare. I see their faces and I think that maybe I am fine with being the Superego. Of course, that is only an excuse to keep me from falling to my knees. Somehow, we have to keep walking down the path we have unconsciously set for ourselves and let what we cannot feel guide us through the noise of the world.

Foolish and I know loneliness hurts...

Wer bin ich? Ich bin die Märchentante~ 

And as die Märchentante, am I fated only to relate tales as I always have done? By coming and going in and out of the lives of those who gather by my side, stirring up temporary joy, temporary sorrow and emotions that never last? Holding an injured bird, cooing gently to it under the strands of wishes that make up the Willow tree's will, the leaves sing that once its wings may flap again, it will soar towards a passing flock, never to look back. The stories told under the spell of this sleeping Willow will remain as fragments of an illusion barely remembered, prone to bleaching by the Sun's rays. 

So goes fate, in circles, round and round. 

No comments: