Monday 27 February 2017

City Under the Sea

To torch the gloom from within this room where our first night was shared, I pulled open the curtains, only to have the rail collapse. Assaulted by the influx of brightness which I seldom tolerate, I sit by the bed, breathing it in, hoping that it would kill the cancer inside me. My gaze fixed upon nothing as I continued to ignore the view. Cloudless was the sky, without doubt. 

Then in the night when the irregular beating of the heart is especially strong, I turned to face the curtainless windows. Lights blinking, lights unblinking, lights guiding. Blurred by my poor vision and the dewdrops gathered by the banks of my eyes, the city seemed to be submerged, existing as a place under the sea. I thought it was beautiful, as beautiful as the rainbow-coloured scales belonging to de mooiste vis van de see. I fell asleep like that, zo alleen

Awakened by the splitting of Sunflower seeds, the last moments of sleep were shrouded in warm May sunshine and the love I wish still lived.

I turned to face the curtainless windows again. The chariot of the Gods seem to have lost its way, as I lie here in bed awaiting its glorious arrival. Enveloped in a thick mist, the clouds are so tightly woven that not even the sky can be seen. Do I deserve not even the blessing of Apollo? 

Truly, the city cries in the morning rain. 

Now, it really exists under the sea. Any moment now, my lungs will be filled by the water I breathe. 

No comments: