Monday 20 February 2017

To Forgive Across the Plains of Regret

Two hearts committed by promise
Bleed as one when struck
By the same sword glazed in poison.

What hurts
Hurts both;
Pain that is not forgotten
Is hurt that is not forgiven.

One cries "I have been suffering!"
The other replies "So have I!"
But in the pride of the non-virtuous
Understanding cannot flourish
And enlighten the shades of desolation.

"I have been suffering!"
"So have I!"
Neither are heard
Through the tear of hearts
Now distant.

...

Every night, I lie in the dark with a heart full of regret. I think of the instances I pushed you away when you longed for my appreciation, failing to see my insecurities. And I hear you crying, what you said to me, echoing in the air, inside my heart. You have been suffering as if I had not been. The pain I caused you, is the pain I cannot live with. So it's not fair for you to pretend as if you're the only victim that suffered throughout our time together. It is the both of us who cannot let go of the hurt I've caused, not just you. Maybe, when you understand this, you'll start to forgive me.

No comments: