Sunday 15 August 2010

AVATAR: The Last Airbender


Well, I'm home! Went to watch The Last Airbender, a summary on the cartoon AVATAR. The summary of the first season anyway. Well, they changed it a bit here and there to make it more interesting. I got smaller pics from Google, I think that it'll fit in the... um... Post line thing? I learned my lesson the last time, big pics are no good for my blog.

So...

Yea, I enjoyed the movie, I'd enjoy it even more if the baby beside me was asleep and not crying and shouting all the time... Damn families, when they watch a movie, don't bring the whole gang! Especially babies! Who bring babies to the cinema? Or three year olds? Do they even understand the movie? A waste of money, and annoying to the people in the room.

Funny thing, the Fire Nation people are all... Indians... Prince Zuko is played by the guy from Slumdog Millionaire, who knew he could speak so well? The Avatar, I have no idea, I'll go check it on IMDB(The Internet Movie Data Base) later, he's a cute bald kid.

Summary

A long time ago, the four nations, Air, Water, Earth and Fire nation lived peacefully together, until the Fire Nation attacked. Just when the world needed him the most, the Avatar vanished.

A hundred years later, Katara and her brother Sokka from the Southern Water Tribe found the Avatar. Katara was the only water bender left in the Southern Water tribe.

Aang's an air bender, when he was chosen to be the Avatar, he ran away from the air temple. He didn't want to become the Avatar, the Avatar can't have a family. And from the day he was chosen, everyone started to treat him differently.

He ran away and there was a terrible storm, he used air bending underwater and was frozen in an ice ball with Appa, his Air Bison.

He ran away before his Avatar training.

That's his past.

Katara, Sokka and Aang then decided to travel to the Northern Water Tribe, where the most powerful water benders live, to learn water bending.

And so...

It begins...

Blah... Blah... Blah...

I'm just lazy to summarize everything!

I'd give this movie... Um... 9/10 rating.

Watch it! You wont regret it. At least I didn't.

Thank you!





3 comments:

toozgx said...

It's a disgrace to its original source. If you haven't watch animated series, I highly recomend you do, if you can actually bare to give this movie a 9/10, I can assure you will give the series a 10/1. But then again, personal preference. For me, they changed way too many things. Here's the list of changes I compiled -> http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=1013472263#!/note.php?note_id=420288301683

Anonymous said...

Who cares if the interpretation is different as long as the positive themes of the animation were conveyed?

I liked the movie too. I liked the bending and the visuals and the music.

I wish there would be sequels but all these hater fanboys are obviously on a mission to destroy that chance. They are giving really really bad reviews (like 0 star) everywhere on the web.

I think a lot of people who never saw the cartoon like the movie.

By the way, I saw the movie first but when I tried to watch the cartoon it was a bit too immature for me.

toozgx said...

Positive themes conveyed through the series that were put through the movie alone isn't enough. If you are basing a movie on a source with a heavy fan base, it's like playing fire. And to actually alter so much is only good at angering the fans. If you make a movie based on something and not placing the fans as priority, may as well make something new, cause it's always the fan base that will determine how well the film is received.(LOrd of the Rings and Iron Man for example).

And it isn't that alone that didn't play well. The dialogues in the movie were mostly one-liners. No serious discussion nor satisfying explaination were given to may concepts important in the future films.

But then again, personal opinions can't be changed. Just note that even in Rotten Tomatoes, the film was scored a low 7% based on 141 reviews by multiple notable critics, showing a majority of disapproval to the film. (Although on the general rottentomatoes communitty rating gives it a 45% based on 44896 ratings from user)

Anyway, if you enjoyed the film, good for you, might as well be happy about it, Imma go re-watch the original series to cleanse my mind.